1/2 lbs shrimp
4 cups of water
1/2 tsp chicken bullion
1 stalk lemongrass
5 slices of galangal (or 3 slices of ginger)
rind of half a lime
2-3 Thai birdseye chilis
5 garlic cloves
For the Soup
1/2 cup oyster mushrooms
1 tomato, wedged
1/2 white onion sliced
1 tsp sugar (or to taste)
3 tbsp fish sauce
juice of 1-2 limes
1 tsp tamarind paste
cilantro / scallions for garnish
1. Cut lemongrass into 2″ pieces and remove outer layers. Take lemongrass, galangal, lime rinds, birdseye chilis, and garlic cloves and smash with hammer. Add to medium pot.
2. Peel shrimp and take shells (and heads if available) and add into medium pot. Add 4 cups of water with the bullion, lemongrass, galangal, lime rinds, birdseye chilis, and garlic cloves. Bring to boil and simmer for at least 10 minutes. Strain out ingredients through a fine mesh strainer into a bowl. Transfer broth back to pot.
3. Bring broth to a boil and add shrimp. Cook for 2 minutes.
4. Add oyster mushrooms, onions, and tomato to pot and cook for another minute.
5. Add fish sauce, sugar, lime juice, tamarind paste. Adjust each to your taste.
6. Serve soup hot in bowls with cilantro and scallions (and chilis if you like).