3-3.5 lbs of beef shank, 2″ chunks
2″ piece of ginger, sliced and smashed
8 cloves of garlic, smashed
5 scallion whites, cut into 2″ segments
1 onion, wedged
2 tomatoes, wedged
5 dried chilies
1 tbsp tomato paste
2 tbsp spicy bean paste (dobanjiang)
2 tsp sugar
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup shaoxing wine (or dry sherry)
Herb packet in cheese cloth
4 star anise
1 cinnamon stick
3 bay leaves
1 tbsp fennel seeds
1/2 tbsp cumin powder
1 tsp coriander powder
2-3 tbsp sichuan peppercorns
Fresh white noodles
Bok choy, blanched
Cilantro, finely chopped
- Boil water in a large pot. Once the water is boiling, add beef and let come back up to a boil for 1 minute. Strain in a colander and rinse with fresh water.
- For the instant pot or regular pot on stove, saute ginger, garlic, scallions, and onions with oil. Cook until onions are translucent.
- Add meat and sauce and mix well. Then add 8 cups of water and spice packet.
- For regular pot: Bring to a boil and then drop down to a simmer on medium low. Cover and cook for at least 3-4 hours. FOR INSTANT POT: Cover and set to pressure cook for 90-100 minutes.
- When broth is done, get toppings together. Boil water, blanche bok choy, and get scallions and cilantro together. Serve broth and meat in a bowl. Serve Hot.